As pet parents, as much as we try to avoid it, sometimes our pets get their paws on things they shouldn't—and in some cases, those things can be poisonous.
Each year, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center compiles a list of the top ten pet toxins from the previous year. Although the 2022 report has not yet been released, the 2021 report reveals how dangerous common household items and pantry staples can be to your furry friend.
Over-the-counter medications—ibuprofen, vitamin D, and herbal supplements
Prescription medication for humans—cardiac medications, antidepressants, and ADHD medication
Food—xylitol, protein bars and shakes, onions, garlic, grapes, and raisins
Household toxins—paint, beauty, and cleaning products
Veterinary products—joint and calming chews
While this list includes the most common toxins from the previous year, this is by no means an exhaustive list of the potential poisons that can affect your pet. The below list includes both edible and non-edible toxins that pet parents should be aware of.
Keep in mind that some of these toxins are more dangerous than others, and factors such as the amount ingested, your pet’s weight, and any underlying health conditions they have can also influence outcomes after ingestion. Some of the toxins also affect cats and dogs differently, so if you think your pet ingested any of the following, it's important to talk to a vet.
Grapes and raisins
Xylitol (often in gum)
Medication for humans or another pet
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Ice melting products
Insecticides and pesticides
Lawn fertilizers and weed killers
Fabric softener sheets
Paint and solvents
Swimming pool chemicals
Play dough and salt dough
Hyacinth and Tulip (especially the bulbs)
Rhododendron and Azalea
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow Plant
It's important for pet parents to know what to do if their pet ate something toxic. Signs of toxic ingestion include diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, hyperactivity, collapse, seizures, drooling, and more.